Going Cyber doing it better
Ted Nellen, Cybrarian
Murry Bergtraum HS
Cyber Courses getting it done
Utilize the Internet and related technology to fulfill the curriculum.
- Are driven by pedagogy.
- Provide greater access to resources and community.
- Allow for more inter disciplinary study.
- Put the scholars at the center of learning.
Why do a Cyber Course
Audience is Many
Nearly All Students do
Audience is One
Too Few Students do
Not User Friendly
Dewey learn by doing
Dewey introduced this idea at the turn of this century and it is finally being realized.
- "Doing proceeds from needs to know, to grasp a thing intellectually or theoretically…"
- "..of doing and not being done to.."
- "..of doing and undergoing the consequences of doing."
Constructivism is doers doing
Internet is where we do what we do
Telnet, FTP , IRC, Gopher, Lynx, WWW
email, listserv, chat, MOO, browse, surf
Power of the Internet:
- User Driven
- Access to Resources and Community
Publishing reflects on the doers doing
- Goal of Writers, to publish
- Multiple Forms of Expression
- Scholars construct their web pages
- Their work is published.
- They are considering design, font, graphics, color as well as the content.
- They are interacting, socializing…
Audience reacts to the doers doing
- Increases from one to many.
- Allows for efficient peer review.
- Access to many talented netizens from retirees to student-teachers who can now have access as telementors in the schools.
- Parents are communicating with their children through email.
Scholars are doers doing
- own webpage
- own email
- time management
Resources to help get it done
- primary, secondary, tertiary sources.
- Credibility issues
- Government, Academic, Commercial
- Access tomes of information
Move from Vertical to Horizontal
- Onus is on the scholar
- from top down to shared decision making.
- Nearly all scholars do not just a few
- from sage on stage to guide by the side.
- Quality not Quantity.
Bringing Community to the Schools
Power to the user
Power to the Community
Power to the Schools
Power to the People
- Dewey: learn by doing
- Constructivism: is doers doing
- Internet: where we do what we do
- Publishing: reflects on the doers doing
- Audience: peer, telementor, parent
- Empower Scholars: ownership
- Vertical to Horizontal: leadership
- Community: involvement
Cyber English doing a cyber course
Murry Bergtraum HS