Notes on the Readings in |
Teaching and Learning at a Distance
Edited by Thomas E Cyrs
Chap 2: "Competence in Teaching at a Distance" by Thomas E Cyrs
- Online teaching is not the same as traditional classroom.
- Areas of competence:
- Course planning and organization:
- know difference between two environments.
- logistical knowledge like copyright
- know learning theory
- Verbal and nonverbal presentation skills:
- teleinstructor is missing body and facial language
- Collaborative teamwork
- DE is more collaborative, needs to be.
- Need to work as team.
- Questioning strategies
- be able to devise questions for all levels of learners.
- ground rules
- promote student questining
- Subject matter expertise
- know subject
- know how subject will be learned by student via exampls, analogies, visual...
- Involving students and coordinating their activities at field sites
- the teleinstructor needs to be able to juggle better esp on remote sites.
- Basic learning theory
- know many learning theories
- Knowledge of the distance learning field
- Know delivery systems
- know synchronous and asynchronous
- Design of study guides correlated with the television screen
- be conscious of how guides will be projected on monitor
- Graphic design and visual thinking
- learn to visualize ideas
- use of multimedia
- DE is not the same as traditional classroom teaching and requires more time.
Back to TOC