A Consortium of 
Virtual Enterprises

Carlos Martinez
Ted Nellen
Tom Stewart
The Challenge: 
Employees          Students
Business Plan      Curriculum
Office                   Classroom
Corporation          School
Digital Age            Industrial Age

Plan Offered For "Majoring" in High School
Regents Will Consider New Graduation Rule

New York Times, July 16, 1997
"New York State's Education Commissioner has proposed that all HS students be required to choose a field of concentration... all HS students would have to take 5 or 6 year long courses and internships in their chosen field."
"The proposal also helps address the concerns of business leaders seeking high school graduates with workplace skills."

The Virtual Enterprise
	The practice enterprise is a comprehensive and student-oriented approach towards teaching and working which provides practical and task-oriented instruction in a simulated business environment. It gives students a broader international perpective as well as the ability to use the lastest technology and equipment as employed in the real business world.

Technological Impact
on the Challenge

Student > Employee
Uses Technology to:
Improve communication 
Apply foreign language to an international busines settng
Solve business problems
Practice teamwork/collaboration
Earn money
Build self-esteem

Curriculum > Business Plan
Departmentalized       Interdisciplinary
Teacher Centered        Learner Centered
Instructivist                Constructivist
Rote Learning              Real World Applications
Standardized Tests      Annual Reports (portfolio)

Classroom > Office
Rows of desks       Cubicles
Teacher's desk      Conference Room
Chalkboard            Audio-Visual
Lockers                  Filing cabinets
Hard architecture   Soft Archetecture

School > Corporation
Each Virtual Enterprize will simulate a true-life business.  The employees (the students) will be involved in actual "on-the-job" work experiences.  Students will, according to the line of their VE business, work in departments:

Joining the exisiting 1,500  Virtual Enterprises in 20 Countries
  The New Consortium Members
		School Districts:		Universities:
Houston ISD			Rice University 
Orleans Parish (New Orleans)	Tulane University
Hillsborough County (Tampa)	University of South Florida	
(Greater) New York  		Columbia University
Dade County (Miami)		Florida International Univ.
Spain				University of Barcelona
Puerto Rico			Universidad de Puerto Rico
Mexico				Universidad Autonima de Mexico

Consortium Members
Time Warner
Local Import/Export Companies  
McGraw-Hill Publications
Wall Street Journal
New York Times
Dell Marketing,L.P.
Intermedia Communications

School/Enterprise Profiles
Murry Bergtraum High School, NYC
Business:  Publishing
Sponsor:  Dow Jones Publishing/NY Times
University Affiliate:  Columbia School of Journalism

East Meadow UFSD, Long Island, NY
Business: Health Care Management
Sponsor:  Nassau County Medical Center
University Affiliate:  Hofstra University

H.B. Plant High School, Tampa, FL
Business:  International Marketing/Advertising
Sponsor:  Unvision
University Affiliate:  University of South Florida, College of Business

"The revenue is generated through advertising.  Lehman Brothers estimated that 90% of internet revenue will come from advertising with the remaining 10% coming from subscription."
	-Dale Mann, Home Again, Private and Public Prospects for Internet Delivered Learning at Home, (Draft) 1997, page 63.

Budget Summary
Year 1

Budget Summary
Year 2

Budget Summary
Year 3

Budget Summary
Year 4
Budget Summary
Year 5

Requested Budget
Estimated Cost Distribution

Amoroso, D. and Cheney, P. (1992)
	"Quality End-User Development Applications: Some Essential Ingredients" Data Base, 23, 1, (Winter) pp. 1-12.
Baker, E. and O'Neil, H (1994)
	Technology Assessment in Education and Training.  Hillsdale, NJ:  Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
Cheney, P. and Amoroso , D. (1991)
	"Testing a Causal Model of End User Application Effectiveness:  An Exploratory Investigation" Journal of Management Information Sysems, 8, 1 (Summer) pp. 63-89.
Cheney, P. and  Kasper, T.  (1993) 
	"Responding to World Competition:  Developing the Global I.S. Professional" Journal of Global Information Mahnagement,  1, 1, (Winter), pp. 21-31.
Congress of the United States, Office of Technology Assessment (1988)
	Power On!  New Tools for Teaching and Learning, 
	Washigton, D.C.: Goverment Printing Office.