Ftp, Gopher and Telnet Worksheet
Applications and Distance Education will focus on innovative, effective and manageable
application of the Internet to the classroom. The primary emphasis will be integrating
internetresources and related activities into the curriculum; however, personal teacher management
and class preparation skills will also be included. Several class activities will involve the
development of materials for use in the classroom (K-12, adult education or higher education). The
course includes internet searches, email and distribution list development, and website utilization
and development for the classroom. The class specifically includes the use of the following: the
Worldwide Web, Netscape, email functions, listserv membership, distribution list development and
maintenance, use and comparison of several internet search engines, and basic webpage and website
development with a text editor program. Someexperience with Mac or IBM-compatible computers helpful;
no knowledge of programming needed.
For additional course material visit (http://www.fordham.edu/gse/kpking/5912a.htm &
Objectives: Students will develop the ability to
1. operate IBM-compatible computers in order to successfully use software.
2. demonstrate skills in using word processing, and internet related software.
3. demonstrate internet email skills including basic email skills, distribution list development and use, listserv functions: searches, subscription, archives, etc.
4. demonstrate internet web skills: browsing, searches, and custom bookmarks.
5. demonstrate internet web development skills: basic HTML and webpage development, webpage publishing, editing and maintenance.
6. demonstrate familiarity with current issues in information technology as they relate to the internet and education.
7. integrate the internet and information technology into the curriculum.
8. evaluate computers, software and technologies,and plan for their implementation in the classroom.
9. identify resources for staying current in computer and related technologies as they relate to